£12 per hour (negotiable)
We are looking for a sessional worker to support our advocates during periods of absence and/or high demand. Appropriate applicants will be added to our bank of sessional workers to be contacted as demand requires, typically covering absences of six weeks or longer.
We currently require someone to cover 2 days per week in a Community and Care Act Advocate role until end March, and additional availability may arise.
Our advocates provide community and care act advocacy to Salford residents with a range of needs, and also independent mental health advocacy in Salford and Prestwich Hospitals.
Applicants will have previous experience advocating in the past, and have their own transport to be able to meet clients in the community throughout Salford. Good computer literacy is also a requirement to be able to record information on our client database.
Successful applicants will work confidentially with people who have a range of needs in the community with the aim of getting their opinions, needs and wants on issues relating to their treatment, care and other issues communicated to those the client has identified. Previous experience working with people with mental health needs, physical or sensory needs, over 60s or working with health or social work providers would be an advantage.
The advocate works at the instruction of their client with the objective of empowering them and will represent the client if requested to do so.
The advocate helps people to say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and obtain services they need.
Responsibilities will include:
• Meeting clients regularly and supporting them to liaise with medical, social work and other professionals
• Fostering equality, diversity and rights of others by ensuring people are respected and valued as individuals.
• Representing the interests of individuals at their request when they are not able to do so themselves, and support them accessing appropriate support when they are distressed.
• Enable individuals to find out about and use services.
• Gather required information on the service and other activities for monitoring reports to funders, acting in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
• Ensure that the services provided meet the Mind quality standards.
To discuss this position further, please contact Diane Shepherd firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note we also have a temporary IMHA role available